English scholar list - 1700s and 1800s

Steven Avery

Administrator
BCEME - p. 127
38 Patrick 1675; Howard 1700; Howell 1711; Boys 1716; Calamy 1722; Atkinson 1726; Wesley 1775, repr. 1776, 1783, 1784, 1789, 1792, 1803, 1805, 1812, 1813, 1816 and in further collected volumes; Burder 1805, repr. in collected volumes; Swift’s sermon, analysed in the following text, is undated,
but was first published in 1744.

FOUR lesser known:

John Howard (1674-1729?)
http://books.google.com/books?id=TwTZAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA179

James Boys
http://books.google.com/books?id=TwTZAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA48
BOYS James, M. A. V. of Coggeshall, Essex.
A practical Exposition on the 39 Arc. & C to which is added a Serm. on 1 John v. 7. fo.1716. p. 271. Bod.Sim.
Sermon
https://books.google.com/books?id=wPJeAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA271

John Atkinson of Stainton, Westmoreland (some have James)
The Father, the Word, or (Son) and the Holy Ghost, the one true God : together with the necessity of believing it ; prov'd and apply'd, in two sermons, on I John, v, 7. With a dedication, plainly shewing the unreasonableness, impiety, and dreadful effects, of denying Christ to be the most high God
https://www.worldcat.org/title/fath...christ-to-be-the-most-high-god/oclc/863549705

George Burder (1752-1832)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Burder
Village Sermons
https://archive.org/stream/villagesermonsor101burd#page/148/mode/2up
p. 148-153

The venues for discussing the comma changed over time. Sermon literature remained popular, and Wesley’s sermon on the Trinity was reprinted separately many times until 1816, after which time it was included in collected editions of his sermons. In 1805 it was joined by another sermon by George Burder, printed separately and then included in his oft-reprinted Village Sermons.
When clergy wanted to expatiate for longer than a sermon would bear, they sometimes resorted to public lectures.4
4 For example, the Rev. J. R. Beard gave a lecture on the comma at the Unitarian Meeting House, Greengate, Salford, on 1 April 1832; see The Manchester Guardian, 10 March 1832, 1. On 6 November 1856, the Rev. Dr. John Cumming delivered a ninety-minute lecture on the revision of the bible at the Caledonian Church on Holloway Road in London, expounding the case against the comma in some detail; see The Observer, 9 November 1856, 8.
John Relly Beard (well-known)

John Cumming (1807-1881)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Cumming_(clergyman)
See the Observer 1856
http://books.google.com/books?id=L5kCAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA414

Then he continues with other well-known Unitarians of the era:
Frederick Farley
Henry Ware
 
Last edited:
Top